Monday, July 26, 2010

3rd Day in St. Louis!

We met up with Pastor at 9:15 outside of the Seminary's Chapel and stayed for the morning service. There was a group there that was heading home from the National Youth Gathering. Logan recognized a couple of the teens from Milwaukee Lutheran. It was good to know that the leaders were taking time to take the youth to the seminaries on the way home.

We spent some time at the St. Louis Art Museum. Pastor said that he could prove that it was better than our museum in 10 minutes. The Milwaukee Art Museum has a much better Renaissance section, but all in all, he was right.

We drove out west (I think) and had lunch at Steak N Shake. The burgers were good, but the water was disgusting! Logan and Brett sat at a table by themselves, and did just fine.

I got to drive the two blocks to the Concordia Historic Institute. We tried, unsuccessfully, to meet with the president-elect. We knew we weren't going to be able to see him, but we had to try! Pastor showed us the Chapel and the museum. The museum tour was a chronologically history of our LC-MS. It was quite fascinating! On our way out the kids did a little shopping at the gift shop. Katherine bought a turquoise apron with wording, "Taste and see that the Lord is good!" Brett bought a gift for a friend.

It was time to feed the group again, so we stopped at another place that Pastor hadn't been to before...Gus' Pretzels. We all got some pretzels and loved the price and taste!

We drove past Anheuser-Busch and Historic Trinity Lutheran Church, before getting to the Gateway Arch. The security wasn't as bad as Pastor thought it might. We walked around The Museum of Westward Expansion, but unfortunately, the line was too long to go up the Arch.
Pastor and Logan sat outside the Arch while the rest of us walked down the many steps to the riverfront.

Finding a Walmart was imperative to fill our cooler with bottled water. Marilyn, the GPS, was able to locate a Walmart about 15 mintues away. Logan and Katherine ordered subs from Subway and ate them while the rest of us ate at the St. Louis Bread Co. (Panera's).

We got back to the hotel too late for swimming. So we got the kids settled in our room and met up with Pastor at the pub. We talked, laughed, and simply enjoyed hanging out. Jim wanted me to try his Irish Coffee. He knows I like Irish Creme but not coffee. I tried it and did not like the taste it left in my mouth. I took a sip of Pastor's beer. Keep in mind, it was the first beer I have ever had in my life! It was ok...just ok. I took the last drop, also, and decided that beer is not for me, either.


The Wards said...

So fun to read about all of your travels! Sounds like you had a wonderful vacation!

mipackerfan said...

Thanks, Kaethe! I crammed so much into our days, but it was worth it.